The Pharisee and the Tax Collector
Welcome to Term 4! This term we’re learning about prayer.
Listening to the Bible
Read: Luke 18:9-14
The CEV version is probably the best for this week’s passage, if they are able to read for themselves. You can find it online here.
Make sure you discuss these questions with a family member!
1. Read through Like 18-9-14.
2. Who did Jesus tell this parable to?
3. What were the good things the Pharasee did?
4. Why did Jesus say that the Pharisee was not pleasing to God when he was doing good things?
5. What did the Tax Collector do to the people?
6. Why was the Tax Collector pleasing to God?
7. Have a think- who do you think you are like?
8. Do you think that being a Christian is all about trying to be good?
9. Do you think that being a Christian is partly about trying to be good?
10. Would you like to give up trying and ask Jesus to do it all for you?
11. The Tax Collector said sorry to God, think about the things you need to say sorry to God for.
12. Have a read of Titus 3:5 and discuss why God saves.
Helping it Stick
17 Pray continually, 18 give thanks in all circumstances; for this is God’s will for you in Christ Jesus.1 Thessalonians 5:17-18
See last week’s craft for the prayer cube if you haven’t already done it. You can also make a prayer wheel. These crafts can help remind you when to pray and what to pray for.
Print out here – draw a picture of the Pharisee and the Tax Collector in the temple under their headings.
Retell the Story
Print “Story Retell”, cut out the pictures and retell the story of the Pharisee and the Tax Collector
Print “Gap Activity” and fill in the blanks.
See here for more activities. Activity for 3-5s is printing the template, colouring in the pictures and cutting out to create finger puppets. Activity for 5-7s is printing page 2 and 3. Cut out the pictures on page 1 and glue them onto page 2. Use a split pin to connect the arrow onto page 2 so it can be moved around to each picture. Activity for 7-9s is print out page 4 and 5. Colour and cut out the pictures on page 4. Fold along the dotted line. Glue the top flaps onto the boxes under each question on page 5 so that when the picture is lifted up, the answer is visible.